This is my nannamma’s (grand mom) recipe. My hubby is not a fan of plantain and often complains that it’s too sticky or dry. Then I remembered my granny’s yummy plantain powder and got this recipe from her. He absolutely loved this and couldn’t make it out that its plantain powder 🙂 .This is very simple to make and could be stored up to a week at room temperature. I made this on weekend and survived on it for this entire week (had a very hectic week so far 🙁 ). Hope you too would love my granny’s authentic recipe.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
No of Servings: 4-6
Chana dal: 2 tbsp.
Urad dal: 2 tbsp
Dhania: 2 tbsp.
Dry coconut (grated/flakes): 2 tbsp.
Red chilies: 3-5 (adjust as per taste)
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp.
Oil: 1 tsp.
Salt: As per taste
Curry Leaves: Few
Oil: 2-3 tbsp.
Urad dal: 1 tsp.
Chana dal: 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp.
- Wash a plantain and steam it for 15 minutes in cooker/idli steamer (I have used idly steamer).
- Turn off heat after 15 minutes, let it cool down and peel off the skin (it comes off very easily ).
- Meanwhile, heat a pan with 1 tsp. of oil and add Chana dal, Urad dal to it.
- After a minute, add Dhania, Dry coconut, chilies, mustard seeds and hing.
- Roast them till you get nice aroma and turn off heat. Let it cool.
- Powder it in blender and now add roughly cut steamed plantain to it.
- Blend it again with salt (separate it with fork roughly if it has some lumps).
- Heat a pan with 2-3 tbsp. Of oil.
- Add urad, chana dal, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds to it.
- When they start crackling, add hing, curry leaves and the blended plantain .
- Fry the mixture for 5-7 minutes on medium flame till it gets slighted roasted.
- Let it cool and serve it with hot rice.
- You can also store it in an air tight container.
- You can add garlic if you like while frying.